At least 52 fishermen have been killed and over 100 were wounded in the US-Saudi-led coalition’s latest airstrikes on its war-torn neighbor Yemen, Hodeidah province.
Over 52 civilians were killed and more than 100 were injured, on Thursday, after two crimes committed by the coalition on Al Thawrah Hospital and fishing port. They were targeted during rush hour, both places were crowded by shoppers and hospital vistors.
A spokesman for the Health Ministry, Yousef al-Hadheri, said that ambulances were deliberately targeted by the coalition in front of Al Thawrah Hospital gate.Al Thawrah Hospital in Hodeidah sent a distress call, while medical teams asked citizens to go to donate blood in the city’s hospitals.
The incident came after the unilaterally-declared truce in the initiative of Chief of the Supreme Revolutionary Committee Mohammed al-Houthi, entered into force , and after the armed confrontations in the western coast front remained almost intermittent on Wednesday.
Nine fishermen were killed yesterday as a result of the targeting a fishing boat near Zagr island in the territorial sea, according to local sources.
Yemeni army forces has unilaterally suspended its retaliatory attacks in the Red Sea, from where the coalitionwarships have been targeting the war-torn state, especially its strategic port city of Hodeidah.
There was no immediate comment from the Saudi-led coalition.
Saudi Arabia has resumed oil shipments through the Bab El-Mandab Strait reversing a decision issued last week to temporarily suspend movement through the waterway following a Houthi attack.
Standard & Poor’s Global Platts said an oil tanker owned by the National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) crossed the strait on Sunday, adding that three vessels owned by the same company have been on standby in the last 24 hours in Oman’s Salalah Port.
Another carrier owned by Bahri has also headed from the east coast of Saudi Arabia to Bab El-Mandab en route to the Egyptian port of Ain El-Sokhna while two other vessels were seen approaching Bab El-Mandab in the last few hours.
Saudi Arabia announced on 25 July that it will temprarily suspend all oil shipments through the Bab El-Mandab Strait until navigation in the area becomes secure.
“Millions of Yemenis do not know from where their next meal will come, and most of them eat once every two days,” the UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, Lise Grande, said in a statement issued by the UN website on Thursday.
The US-Saudi-led coalition launched an offensive on Hudaydah on 12 June in the largest battle of the war that the United Nations fears risks triggering a famine in Yemen where an estimated 8.4 million people are on the verge of starvation. Recently, It has been paused for peace talks, but no deal has been struck leaving Yemenis pessimistic over a viable political process.
Abdulmalik al-Houthi, the leader of the Houthi(Ansarallah) movement, which is the main force that faces the coallition, said on a TV speech ,” The decision of invading the Yemeni ,western coast, has been taken and adopted by the United States of America,noting that the Saudis are trying to abolish Yemen’s freedom,” stressing that it was the people of Yemen’s right to defend their country.
Bab El-Mandab is one of the most important waterways in the world; nearly 25,000 ships pass through it annually, representing about seven per cent of the world’s maritime traffic. The waterway is located between Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea, and connects the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and the Arabian Sea.