Qaher-2M Ballistic missile defends Hodeidah port
The missile force of the Yemeni army on Thursday fired a ballistic missile toward gatherings of US-Saudi-led coalition in Hodeidah province, a military official reported.
The missile, Qaher 2M, targeted the gatherings in Yemen’s western coast front, killing and wounding scores.
Hodeidah is a strategic port city which should be supporting more than 20 million Yemenis. It should be the source of at least 70 percent of all imports to Yemen,” Suze van Meegen, a protection and advocacy adviser with the Norwegian Refugee Council, told AFP. The US-Saudi-led coalition has been eager to retake from Yemeni joint forces control, according to Yemeni officials.. But the former UN special envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheik, warned against attacking the port city over potential catastrophic consequences to Yemen last year. Martin Griffiths, the new special envoy to Yemen, echoed the same concern over attacking Hudaydah at the UN Security Council this week.
Sayyad Abdulmalik AL-Houthi claimed on one of his speech that Saudi Arabia is just a tool used by USA and Israel to fight Yemen to conquer it and wrestle control over Red Sea and Bab-AL-Mandab which will enable them to rule the world.
The Guardian British newspaper revealed the green light given by the US to the Arab alliance in the war on Yemen.
The newspaper said in a report about the attack on Hodeidah “it appears that pressure on the UAE to agree a ceasefire is not having much effect, and the US government is unwilling to go as far as damaging ties with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over an issue that is so important to Riyadh.”
The UN issued a public statement on Friday saying that in its worst-case scenario planning as many as 250,000 civilians would be killed as a result of an attack on Hodeidah. The Red Sea port supplies more than 80% of the aid for Yemen, including commercial and humanitarian aid.
The UK’s Department for International Development has told aid groups to make contingency plans for an imminent attack on the strategic port of Hodeidah, a move that could endanger humanitarian supplies for the entire famine-struck country.
UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta H. Fore on Wednesday warned of an attack on the Yemen’s Red Sea city of Hodiedah by Saudi-led coalition states, a statement received by Yemen Press Agency.
In the statement, the UNICEF said at least 300,000 children currently live in and around the city, who have been suffering for so long already.
According to several reports, the Saudi-led air campaign against Yemen has driven the impoverished country towards humanitarian disaster, as Saudi Arabia’s deadly campaign prevented the patients from travelling abroad for treatment and blocked the entry of medicine into the war-torn country.