YemenEXtra
YemenExtra

What happened to the Saudi reconnaissance drone in Jizan at the hands of Yemeni army forces

116

YemenExtra

Y.A

Yemeni army forces have intercepted and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle, belonging to the Saudi-led military coalition, backed by the US, as it was hovering in the skies over Jizan.

An unnamed Yemen military source told YemenExtra that Yemeni air defense forces shot down the drone as it was on a reconnaissance mission over Hariqah area in the Wadi Jarrah district of the province on Friday evening.

In a related context, they fired three domestically-developed Zelzal-1 (Earthquake-1) ballistic missiles at a position of Saudi troops and Saudi-backed Yemeni paid fighters in the al-Khobe area of Jizan region, killing and wounded a number of them.

A barrage of Yemeni artillery rounds slammed into the strategic Jabal al-Doud military base in the same Saudi region destroyed a bulldozer belonging to the coalition .

In addition, their  snipers killed and wounded 13 Saudi soldiers and 195 paid fighters  over last week.The Saudi soldiers were gunned down and injured in border fronts, while the paid fighters were killed and wounded in many battlefronts.

Separately, a Saudi airstrike claimed the lives of at least 20 Yemeni civilians and 10 others sustained injuries in province of Hudaydah .The casualties were caused after Saudi warplanes targeted a group of farmers in a vegetables market in Masoudi area of Bayt al-Faqih district of the western province on Wednesday.

The United Nations humanitarian chief , on Tuesday, says the war on Yemen has left as many as 8.4 million people in the Arab world’s already poorest nation in need of urgent food aid.

In all, 75 percent of Yemen’s 22-million-strong population needed some sort of assistance, said the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock.

The UN’s food agency , on Monday, urged Saudi Arabia and its allies to stop their devastating war on Yemen, saying the conflict has put millions of Yemeni people on the brink of the worst famine in 100 years.

US Senator Bernie Sanders , on Thursday, called the Saudi-led war on the impoverished Yemen a “moral disaster” for Washington, saying the military campaign has undermined counter-terrorism operations against “violent extremists” such as the al-Qaeda and the Daesh Takfiri terrorist groups in Yemen.

In March 2015, the US -backed –Saudi-led coalition started  a war against Yemen with the declared aim of crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement, who had taken over from the staunch Riyadh ally and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, while also seeking to secure the Saudi border with its southern neighbor. Three years and over 60,000 dead and injured Yemeni people and  prevented the patients from travelling abroad for treatment and blocked the entry of medicine into the war-torn country, the war has yielded little to that effect.

Despite the coalition claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi bombers are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.

More than 2,200 others have died of cholera, and the crisis has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.

However, Saudi Arabia relies heavily on the US in its brutal war on Yemen. Washington has deployed a commando force on the Arab kingdom’s border with Yemen to help destroy arms belonging to Yemen’s popular Houthi Ansarullah movement. Washington has also provided logistical support and aerial refueling.