US admits its failure in Yemen
US and Saudi military forces and their elaborate air-defence systems have failed to detect the launch of airstrikes aimed at Saudi oil facilities, allowing dozens of drones and missiles to hit their targets, US officials have said.
The US deployed a Patriot missile system to Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia earlier this year, but that system is intended to defend the base, where more than 500 U.S. personnel are deployed, along with the area immediately around it. Tje system wasn’t withi range to defend against the Saturday attack, US officials said.
The US State Department called on American citizens to “exercise increased caution” while traveling to Saudi Arabia, a travel advisory posted on its website said on Wednesday.
According to Reuters, the note says, “US Mission personnel and their families are not permitted to use the airport in Abha without Chief of Mission approval.”
The Yemeni Air Force l carried out an attack on Saturday against two major facilities run by Saudi Aramco, Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil giant, with 10 drones, in an attack dubbed Second Operation of Balanced Deterrence.
In March 2015, the US -backed –Saudi-led coalition started a war against Yemen with the declared aim of crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement, who had taken over from the staunch Riyadh ally and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, while also seeking to secure the Saudi border with its southern neighbor. Three years and over 600,000 dead and injured Yemeni people and prevented the patients from travelling abroad for treatment and blocked the entry of medicine into the war-torn country, the war has yielded little to that effect.
Despite the coalition claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi bombers are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
More than 2,200 others have died of cholera, and the crisis has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.