What happened in the war-torn country as the special envoy leaves!
The Special Envoy of the Secretary General for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, left the capital Sana’a, accompanied by the head of the UN Monitoring Committee, General Patrick Cammaert amid many criticisms of his failure to manage the file of the Hodeidah agreement. The Red Cross announced that it was continuing its preparations for the success of the prisoner exchange agreement.
The departure, of the envoy and the head of the redeployment committee Patrick Cammaert, came after meeting with the President Al-Mashat yesterday. The President Al-Mashat told the UN Envoy that the task of the task force to monitor the cease-fire, headed by Patrick, is to work on the implementation of the Swedish agreement according to a specific time plan.
Patrick Cammaert has deviated from implementing the Stockholm agreement to discussing and forcing tasks not part of the agreement.
The Undersecretary of Hodeidah province, Ali Qashir, said, on Wednesday, that the United Nations team wants to hand over Hodeidah and its harbor to the enemy. Basically, help them achieve what they failed to get with their military aggression.
“We, as a local authority in Hodeidah, have provided all the facilities to the UN team,” Qashir said in a statement. “The national team in the coordination committee waited for the arrival of the other party, but we did not find any initiative from them”, he added. He pointed out that the enemy and his mercenaries have not stopped targeting Hodeidah since the signing of the Swedish agreement.
“The Stockholm agreement has entered a phase of clinical death and needs urgent rescue,” said political analyst Abdullah Sabri. “We hope that Martin Griffith will succeed in reassuring the national party to continue this agreement.”
The spokesman of the Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Sari, said on Wednesday that the coalition and its paid fighters do not want peace for the Yemenis and do not want to implement the ceasefire in Hodeidah as they continue violating, despite the presence of the UN team and committees. He added that the coalition continue to violate Stockholm ceasefire, in the past 48 hours, with 289 violations in Hodeidah, challenging UN resolutions and renouncing their obligations in Sweden.
He said in a statement to the Yemeni news agency Saba that the coalition’s paid fighters targeted by over 191 artillery shells and various medium and light weapons residential neighborhoods, farms and Yemeni Army’ sites in several districts. He explained that the fighter jets and reconnaissance continued to fly intensely over Hodiedah city, Tahita Addurayhimi and Hais district.
Delegates from Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement and representatives loyal to the resigned Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi are expected to agree on the terms of a prisoner exchange within the next 10 days.
“We expect that in 10 days time the final signing will have happened,” the head of the pro-Hadi delegation to the prisoner exchange talks, Hadi Haig, told Reuters by telephone on Wednesday.
Last week, officials from the former Yemeni government and Ansarullah movement held a round of UN-brokered negotiations in the Jordanian capital city of Amman to hammer out a prisoner swap deal. The two sides met separately with the mediators and submitted lists of prisoners they wanted to be released.
In a related context, a human rights report revealed that Saudi and Emirati forces in Al-Mahrah province committed a number of human rights violations against civilians in the province, which is far from areas of conflict. A report in the human rights office in the province stated that Saudi Arabia captured Al-Juhaida International Airport, where the Saudi forces were carrying out a series of violations, as well as turning a civilian facility (airport-port) into a military base. Arbitrary detention and enforced disappearance, Legally empowered, and physical and psychological violence are some of these violations.
Displaced people in Taiz province, south-west of Yemen, also suffer from difficult humanitarian conditions due to the continued coalition and the siege.
“People are deprived of relief, things have reached the level of human trafficking, there is no coverage of people’s need for relief, children are dropping out of education and are begging to cover and meet the needs of their families,” deputy of Taiz governorate, Abdulla Allaw told Al-Alam correspondent.
Save the Children said that “it is shameful that Western parliaments continue to give the green light to continue sales of military equipment to US-Saudi aggression on Yemen. Children in Yemen are living in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world because of the aggression on Yemen for nearly four years. The only way to end this suffering is to end the conflict.”
Since the beginning of the coalition against Yemen, nearly four years, 14 million people have been at risk of starvation, according to Tamer Kirlos, Country Director of Save the Children in Yemen. This number has increased significantly since the coalition imposed a siege on Yemen in November 2017.
In a seperate context , The Armed Forces Spokesman, Brigadier Yahya Sari, on Tuesday evening, announced that the Yemeni army forces managed to penetrate gatherings of the coalition’s paid fighters and machinery southern Hairan in Hajjah governorate with successful intelligence operations, killing and injuring dozens of them and destroying 7 machinery.
The spokesman added that the operation is a strong message that the gatherings and movements of their enemy are no longer far from the eyes of our fighters, where all their movements and plans are monitored.
In March 2015, the US -backed –Saudi-led coalition started a war against Yemen with the declared aim of crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement, who had taken over from the staunch Riyadh ally and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, while also seeking to secure the Saudi border with its southern neighbor. Three years and over 600,000 dead and injured Yemeni people and prevented the patients from travelling abroad for treatment and blocked the entry of medicine into the war-torn country, the war has yielded little to that effect.
Despite the coalition claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi bombers are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
More than 2,200 others have died of cholera, and the crisis has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.
However, Saudi Arabia relies heavily on the US in its brutal war on Yemen. Washington has deployed a commando force on the Arab kingdom’s border with Yemen to help destroy arms belonging to Yemen’s popular Houthi Ansarullah movement. Washington has also provided logistical support and aerial refueling.