Yemenis condemn Saudi-led attack against Hodeidah
A protest in Al-Mughalaf district in Hodeidah province condemning the crimes of the US-Saudi-led coalition and escalating it in the western coast.
Under the slogan “The Coast is everyone responsibility ,the people of the Directorate of Moqlaf , today ,held a protest to condemn the crimes of the constant fatal practices ,its unjust siege and escalation in #the West Coast against civilians.
The participants rose banners and slogans condemning the international silence and the ignoring of the international organizations, especially the United Nations and Human Rights organizations, for such fatal acts against civilians.
The participants emphasized the importance and necessity of joining forces ,strengthening the West Coast Front and providing it with money and men to confront the the US-Saudi-led coalition and defeat it.
Hodeidah is a strategic port city which should be supporting more than 20 million Yemenis. It should be the source of at least 70 percent of all imports to Yemen,” Suze van Meegen, a protection and advocacy adviser with the Norwegian Refugee Council, told AFP. The US-Saudi-led coalition has been eager to retake from Yemeni joint forces control, according to Yemeni officials.. But the former UN special envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheik, warned against attacking the port city over potential catastrophic consequences to Yemen last year. Martin Griffiths, the new special envoy to Yemen, echoed the same concern over attacking Hudaydah at the UN Security Council .
Abdulmalik al-Houthi, the leader of the Houthi(Ansarallah) movement, which is the main force that faces the coallition, said on a TV speech ,” The decision of invading the Yemeni ,western coast, has been taken and adopted by the United States of America,noting that the Saudis are trying to abolish Yemen’s freedom,” stressing that it was the people of Yemen’s right to defend their country.
“We are increasingly concerned by the fighting in Hodeidah,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said at a press conference held on Wednesday.
Dujarric also warned of the repercussions’consequences on the humanitarian situation
“The occurrence of a battle in Hodeidah, in the west of Yemen could lead to the destruction of the port, which in turn will send millions to starvation,” said the British newspaper, The Independent.
Even if the UK warned against attacking the vital port of Hodeidah, we bear responsibility for the horrors of this war, according to a report issued by the Guardian on June 17.