Victims of migrants by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen
The United Nations has confirmed Saudi-led coalition’s responsibility for targeting a camp of African migrants in al-Raqu market in Monabeh district of Saad province for the second time, killing 20 and wounding 45 in both attacks.
The United Nations Office for Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen on Thursday condemned the coalition’s attacks on civilians, saying that “new air attacks have killed more civilians in Saada, northern Yemen.”
“At least 10 civilians were killed and 22 others, including four children and a woman, were injured during an air strike on Wednesday at al-Raque market in Saada’s district of Monabeh,” the office said in a statement.
Deputy Foreign Minister, Head of the National Committee for Refugees, Hussein al-Ezzi reviewed with the International Organization for Migration (IOM)’s Resident Representative in Yemen Christa Rottensteiner the situation of illegal immigrants flowing into Yemen.
During the meeting, al-Ezzi touched on the implications of this phenomenon on Yemenis, Yemeni authorities, and the safety of illegal immigrants themselves.
Hundreds of African migrants detained by the UAE militias on Thursday managed to escape from a playground of Yemen’s southern city of Aden.The fleeing came after the United Arab Emirates (UAE)-backed mercenaries waged the arrest operation over 1,789 people suffer from poor health and food conditions.
According to the United Nations, about 150,000 immigrants of Ethiopia and Somalia arrived at Yemen last year.
Coalition militants in Hadramout province seized 122 illegal immigrants aboard a boat coming from Africa.
A statement issued by the so-called “military zone II” loyal to the coalition said that the boat contains numbers of illegal refugees, including 86 males and 36 females carrying Abyssinian nationality, in addition to nine males and four females carrying Somali nationality .
In March 2015, the US -backed –Saudi-led coalition started a war against Yemen with the declared aim of crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement, who had taken over from the staunch Riyadh ally and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, while also seeking to secure the Saudi border with its southern neighbor. Three years and over 600,000 dead and injured Yemeni people and prevented the patients from travelling abroad for treatment and blocked the entry of medicine into the war-torn country, the war has yielded little to that effect.
Despite the coalition claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi bombers are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
More than 2,200 others have died of cholera, and the crisis has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.