Declaration of economic emergency; why and how? — Abdullah Ali Sabri
– A year ago, the economic crisis and the suffering of citizens and state employees are worsening day after day in exchange for the fact that the rescue government has not done much to suggest that it is serious and capable in the face of this crisis and its consequences.
The declaration of the alliance of aggression on the closure of all ports and airports of Yemen, the economic crisis has entered a critical turn, we see its daily repercussions with regard to the crisis of oil derivatives and domestic gas, and the deterioration of the Yemeni currency against the dollar and hard currency, and high prices of food commodities, in parallel with the drop in the flow of humanitarian aid Of Yemen.
– This crisis comes as the two main political poles in the country are living in a state of tension and apprehension, amid political and media impotence, not helping to cope with the crisis, as exacerbated by its severity and gravity.
– In contrast, the coalition of aggression is still betting heavily on the effects of the economic crisis, and through the access to the home front, and try to dismantle, to make it easier to hit through the bombing of the situation inside, and a further escalation of military operations.
– Because we face a complex and ongoing crisis and in the midst of an internal and external war of aggression, confronting the various developments in the economic crisis requires reconsidering the ideas and tools that we have been working on over the past three years.
Why economic emergency?
The idea of a declaration of emergency was generally presented early, when Hadi and Bahah announced the resignation of the president and the government at the same time, creating a vacuum in the executive branch, in preparation for war and aggression against Yemen, as it turned out later.
The idea was raised again with the start of the military aggression against Yemen in March 2015. However, the Supreme Revolutionary Committee ignored the importance and necessity of declaring the state of emergency, in parallel with the general mobilization called for by the leader of the revolution.
However, an undeclared state of emergency was noticeable in the day-to-day activity of the Authority and the agencies concerned with confronting aggression until the formation of the Higher Political Council and the Government of Salvation, in accordance with the agreement between the General People’s Congress and Ansarullah.
Once again, the idea of a declaration of emergency comes back to the fore, within the framework of the twelve points demanded by Mr. Abdul Malik al-Houthi. However, this step has not been agreed upon, especially since the declaration of emergency requires the approval of the House of Representatives according to the constitution that the General People’s Congress is obstructing such a fundamental step (experts in the field of law can confirm or deny it).
However, the Conference – outwardly and domestically – deals with the idea of emergency, as directed against its members and supporters, and I do not think that he received the necessary reassurance to help achieve this step.
But far from the idea of comprehensive emergency, the five preamble mentioned above, requires a purely patriotic launch of a public debate on the idea of ”economic emergency” and the possibility of advertising as soon as possible.
There are countries that have taken such a step and are in a stable position compared to what is happening in our country. (For example, in 2016, Venezuela declared a state of economic emergency that allows the government to lay its hands on property for the private sector to ensure the provision of essential goods to citizens. Although Venezuela is not at war at all.
Tunisia also announced in September 2016 a comprehensive state of emergency due to terrorist attacks on the country. The emergency is still in place. However, the Tunisian parliament has been considering a draft economic emergency law for several months with the aim of reviving investment.
However, the issue is not just to emulate others. The quasi-collapsed economy may be the straw that cuts the back of the steadfast people in the face of aggression and siege.
It is regrettable that the Government of Salvation does not deal with this issue – even in the event of permanent meeting – with a unified vision and harmony, and does not stop each party to throw responsibility on the other.
It is outrageous that the people have to bear the burden of aggression and siege, in addition to the consequences of the government’s laxity and its failure to manage the economic file.
It is true that there are challenges and obstacles that cannot be overcome. We criticize the performance of the government. However, the idea of ”economic emergency” may be an input to the government of rescue in order to evade the various energies and capabilities of the state and society in the face of the siege and the economic crisis and to prove to the people that they are at the level of challenge and responsibility.
– In light of the war and the crisis, parasitic economic activities have emerged, draining the rest of the hard-working people’s savings and filling the pockets and balances of “crisis traders” … and these activities must be faced with determination and determination, in accordance with the state of emergency.
– When the black market appeared, it was behind traders and businessmen working with the enemy, and many of these are still controlling the derivatives market and benefit from the big difference in prices instead of the state, and these must be dealt with determination and resolve also.
– We were told at the outset that the salary crisis is a cash crisis, and after the availability of liquidity turned out that the game is bigger and more dangerous, and that there are traders and officials who manipulating the national currency, and these must be subject to strict punitive measures.
– In many ministries and the authorities talk about the futility of public money sometimes reaches billions, and those involved in such corruption should be deterred immediately.
– There are intermediary organizations that benefit and trade in food aid provided by international organizations. There are goods and imports that flow continuously with the depleted foreign currency that is already limited. There are regulatory bodies that do not play their role in financial corruption cases. All this requires urgent and extraordinary intervention in accordance with the matrix of “economic emergency” that we call.
Economic Emergency Requirements:
The National Salvation Government should expedite the study of the concept of “economic emergency” and announce a matrix of urgent measures to reduce the level of prices and flow of commodities and oil derivatives, along with a matrix of measures aimed at re-continuing to pay the salaries of state employees, Employment politically and administratively.
In addition to this, and most importantly, that the matrix includes practical measures towards controlling the manipulators in currency and prices, and accounting for the corrupt without regard to their political affiliations. For this purpose, the role of the Public Funds Prosecution must be activated in coordination with the Attorney General and the Supreme Council of the Judiciary.
In the same context, the government should study the reports of the Central Organization for Control and Accountability and coordinate with the Supreme Political Council with a view to lifting the immunity of the high-ranking officials, thus paving the way for the accused to be held responsible for corruption, and also coordinating the restructuring of the Supreme Anti-Corruption Commission.
There is no doubt that facing the economic crisis requires many ideas and steps such as:
– The announcement of “economic mobilization” and a second phase of the support of the Central Bank to donate and deposit.
– A public campaign supported by the media to collect Zakat and taxes.
– Utilizing lands and funds of endowments to serve the national economy.
– Sale of unused land and property of the State and supply of proceeds to the Treasury.
– Opening up to investment projects and breaking the monopoly in the telecommunications sector, for example.
– Studying the projects of joint stock companies and offering them for public subscription.
– Completing the e-Rial project and guaranteeing the employees’ financial rights through postal savings.
Because such ideas and others need to be screened, from the theoretical point of view, to the practical test, one body (a higher economic council) has to be entrusted with exceptional responsibilities and powers in the face of the economic crisis. As the government is required to help and work towards declaring a state of economic emergency and forming a higher economic council, the rest of the parties – particularly the supporters of Allah and the Popular Congress – must play their part in supporting the government and any proposals or steps to save the economy and the nation.