Iraqi court sentences Turkish woman to death over joining Daesh terror group




A court in Iraq has sentenced a female Turkish citizen to death and handed down life terms to ten other foreign women for membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and carrying out acts of terror in the war-ravaged Arab country.

“The Central Criminal Court issued a death penalty by hanging for a female Turkish citizen, and issued ten verdicts of life sentences for other females from different nationalities,” Abdul Sattar al-Biraqdar, spokesman for Iraq’s Supreme Judicial Council, said in a brief statement on Monday.

Biraqdar noted that the all the sentences are subject to review by the Court of Cassation.

Last month, the same Iraqi court issued a death penalty by hanging for a German citizen of Moroccan origin in accordance with Anti-Terrorism Law.

Biraqdar said the woman, whose identity was not disclosed, had confessed during investigations that she traveled from Germany to Syria and then to Iraq, because she had a strong belief in Daesh.

The German citizen was accompanied with her two daughters, who later married members of Daesh terrorist group.

“The woman is accused of providing logistical support to the terrorist organization, and helped them commit their criminal acts. She is also convicted of complicity in attacking Iraqi security forces,” Biraqdar said.

27 Hashd Sha’abi fighters killed in ambush in central Iraq

Meanwhile, at least 27 Iraqi pro-government fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha’abi, were killed when the remnants of the Daesh terrorist group staged an ambush on their convoy in the country’s oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk.

Hashd al-Sha’abi said in a statement that the attack took place in the al-Saadounya area, southwest of the provincial capital city of Kirkuk, late last night, when the voluntary forces were conducting overnight raids.

The assailants were disguised in army uniforms and pretended to man a fake checkpoint.

The statement added that ensuing clashes lasted for at least two hours and that some of the militants were killed while others fled the area.

Karim al-Nouri, a Hashd al-Sha’abi spokesman, described the attack as a “heinous crime,” and called for thorough scrutiny for those returning to their liberated areas.

Brigadier General Yahya Rasool, a spokesman for the Iraqi military, blamed Daesh sleeper cells for the attack, stressing that Iraqi forces were searching the area to find the perpetrators.

Daesh later claimed responsibility for the ambush in a statement published on its Aamaq news agency.

On December 9, 2017, Iraq’s Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared the end of military operations against the Daesh terrorist group in the Arab country.

“Our forces are in complete control of the Iraqi-Syrian border and I therefore announce the end of the war against Daesh,” Abadi told a conference in Baghdad then.

On October 5, Abadi said Iraqi armed forces had liberated Hawijah, driving Daesh Takfiris out of their last bastion in the oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk.

On July 10, Abadi formally declared victory over Daesh extremists in Mosul, which served as the terrorists’ main urban stronghold in the conflict-ridden Arab country.

In the run-up to Mosul’s liberation, Iraqi army soldiers and volunteer Hashd al-Sha’abi fighters had made sweeping gains against Daesh.

The Iraqi forces took control of eastern Mosul in January 2017 after 100 days of fighting, and launched the battle in the west on February 19 last year.

Daesh began a terror campaign in Iraq in 2014, overrunning vast swathes in lightning attacks.