Over 20 citizens killed in a Saudi American raid on Hodeida
At least 20 citizens were killed in a raid conducted by the Saudi-led coalition targeting cars in al-Jarrahi district of Hodeida governorate, a local official told YemenExtra on Saturday.
The official said the warplanes struck three cars near a restaurant at the entrance of al-Jarrahi district, killing more than 20 citizens in an initial toll.
Saudi Arabia has been leading a campaign against Yemen via the air, land, and sea since March 2015 in an attempt to reinstate the former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of the regime in Riyadh, and to undermine the Ansarullah movement. The Riyadh regime has, however, failed to accomplish its goals despite suffering a great deal. Over the past two years, Ansarullah have been running state affairs and defending Yemeni people against the Saudi-led war.
Latest figures show that the war has so far killed over 13,600 Yemenis and wounded thousands more. The Saudi-led coalition has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories.
Certain Arab countries, including the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, are key partners to the campaign, which lacks any international mandate and has faced increasing criticism.
Saudi Arabia has also imposed a total embargo on Yemen, causing intense shortages of food and medicine. A recent cholera epidemic has been blamed on those shortages.